DEMO09 - Social Entrepreneurship Panel
I exchanged emails with Suneet Bhatt of DreamVillage and met Efe Osagle from Lead Now Fellows at DEMO09, but missed the DEMO Social Entrepreneurship panel. Happily, I found the video at the DEMO video library and VIEWED IT. Social Entrepreneurship is a term used to describe "someone who recognizes a social problem and uses entrepreneurial principles to organize, create, and manage a venture to make social change".
As a mother, I think social entrepreneurship can provide great lessons to children/tweens/teens to show that businesses can also help with social issues to make an impact on society. Information on the Dream Village website gave an interesting explanation of their goal: "Our goal is to operate as a for-profit social enterprise, promising a substantive donation to charitable causes, while also generating a sound return for interested investors."
Suneet Bhatt will be emailing me more information about his organization for me to post on TechMamas.com. Moderator was Ami Kassar from Advanta and IdeaBlob. But for now, here are the links to the speakers organizations:
- Suneet Bhatt, Co-Founder, Dream Village From their About page: "Dream Village educates children about important social, economic, and environmental issues by combining illustrated children’s picture books with a fun and interactive web portal. Best of all, the children choose how and where Dream Village makes its charitable donations. With Dream Village, children learn, interact, and then affect real-life positive change".
- Efe Osagie, Founder, Lead Now Fellows From their home page: "LEAD is an international not for profit organisation with a fast growing network of 2000 leaders in more than 90 countries."
- Xander Page, BeRewarding.com From their about page- "BeRewarding has three main goals:
- To provide necessary education around pressing global issues.
- To raise money for worthy non-profit organizations.
- To inform our users as to which companies to support."